YHTN: New Years Beat Battle Finals
Clearly we should do this more often. We had almost 100 submissions, which equates to me having to listen to almost 200 beats. It was great fun, and there are some super talented producers out there. Just to be transparent the key things I was looking for besides “hotness”:
- Did it sound real? There is a sound that feels right, like someone could actually hop on this and make something that didn’t sound like someone just exported an 8 bar Fruityloops loop. This has a lot to do with drums that actually fit the track, and synths and samples being properly tempo synced.
- Is it rap/singable? Basically could someone make a song from this. Are the bars formatted in a way that makes sense?
- Can a vocal actually sit in this somewhere?
- Is the mix decent? A lot of producers can’t mix. Learn to mix. People want to hear the fullness of your records.
Beat: Only If U Knew Better
- @BNyce and @MDofCLP made it to the #YHTN New Years Beat Battle Finals! Listen and vote for “HoFaSho” | CLP Nation