It’s All Star Weekend down in Houston this year. And it’s also the perfect time to let you know about Hoop Dream Ink, an eclectic blend of basketball and art. Decorate the walls, our yourselves with these high quality works of art depicting The ’94 Knicks, Shawn Kemp, D.Rose, MJ and the Durantula…just to name a few. Check it out, you won’t be disappointed.
Bout time you took down that Independence Day poster off your wall from 1996 and started classing up your space. Especially if you still live with your mom. You at least need to have some art if you haven’t moved out.
We asked them to do a little sale, so the whole store is marked down 10% for the duration of the All Star festivities!
Check them out here: Hoop Dream Ink
Epidemic just recently released his much anticipated mixtape titled “Third Exposure”. A Miami native, the MC has a solid balance of thought-provoking music with a commercial sound. On the production side, Epidemic raps on everything from soul samples to a full-blown orchestra across a variety of tracks. Epidemic is a Hispanic lyricist from Miami whose music is a unique blend between substance and street-conscious content. Download here:
Twitter & Instagram: @epidemic305
This is re-damn-diculous:
Caption… via comments:
“Security… Security… you know (something muthafuckin’ something?)… I’m tryin’ to do a muthafuckin’ show right NOW. security…mu-tha-fuckin’ SECURITY-Y-Y YEAH-A-E-AH Get your ass right here! These people paid too much muthafuckin’ money!! Security got 2 seconds to move shit or they fi-errred! and I don’t give a shit, oh no, i don’t give a shit at all. Ya’ll paid too much money to see it all. Ya’ll paid too much money to see it all-a-a-a-lll!”
This is a dope ass video.
It gets pretty damn funny by 1:30
The winner for the New Years beat battle is:
Congrats guys! Your giftcard is on the way!
The top three broke down like this:
1. HoFaSho – 86pts
2. Staybach Music – 64pts
3. Meineirre’s Condition – 54pts
I’m planning another beat battle next week. So producers be on the look out next Thursday, January 12th.
Clearly we should do this more often. We had almost 100 submissions, which equates to me having to listen to almost 200 beats. It was great fun, and there are some super talented producers out there. Just to be transparent the key things I was looking for besides “hotness”:
- Did it sound real? There is a sound that feels right, like someone could actually hop on this and make something that didn’t sound like someone just exported an 8 bar Fruityloops loop. This has a lot to do with drums that actually fit the track, and synths and samples being properly tempo synced.
- Is it rap/singable? Basically could someone make a song from this. Are the bars formatted in a way that makes sense?
- Can a vocal actually sit in this somewhere?
- Is the mix decent? A lot of producers can’t mix. Learn to mix. People want to hear the fullness of your records.
Beat: Only If U Knew Better
UPDATE: Tons of entries… wow. We’re now closed! Check tomorrow at Noon to see the picks, and to vote.
I was looking around and no one has been offering any outlet to producers lately on mainstream sites. Production is 70% of a song these days, so I figure let’s get some instrumental action on YHTN. Tomorrow we’ll do a New Years beat battle. Here’s the deal:
- Producers of the world submit two (2) of your beats in MP3 format to email@example.com
- They have to be submitted by Midnight EST on December 29th, 2011 (Today).
- I will listen to all of them (for real I promise) and will pick 5 beats by 5 different producers for the YHTN readership to vote on tomorrow.
- The voting will last all weekend and the winner will be announced at Noon EST on Monday, January 2nd.
- The 1st place winner will get a $25 iTunes or Amazon Giftcard (Winner’s Pick) and automatically get his or her beat placed in the next competition.
- 2nd place will probably get clowned in the comments.
- 3rd place should just be happy to be here.
Neat Lyrics x Food wall art.
So Eddie Huang & Evan Huang of Baohaus recently opened up their second restaurant on 14th Street (between 2nd & 3rd ave). Eddie and I are huge fans of hiphop & rap, so we decided to collaborate on a little art project. I illustrated various items on the Baohaus menu, and via teamwork we came up with a bunch of rap verses to accompany each piece.
Good stuff check it out if you’re in NYC.
Baohaus 2 is located at:
238 E 14th Street
(between 2nd and 3rd Avenue)
NY, NY 10002
via Staple Design